Every once in a while, you come across a piece of equipment that changes your experience on the bike. Ill fitting or inadequate apparel can make for a miserable ride. Tights, bib shorts, jerseys , base layers and jackets are an easy fix. If the specific piece of clothing does not fit properly, you swap it out for the correct size. This is not always true for helmets.
Most helmets come in three sizes. Small, medium and large. Some manufacturers include extra padding, but this does not always provide a good fit. The retention systems are usually pretty good, but if the helmet does not fit on your skull, then the chin strap and rear dial, really doesn’t matter.
Now I have not had good luck with proper fitting helmets. Most medium helmets are too small for me and the larger ones are way too big. Even with the chin strap super tight and the Boa dial cranked down, the helmet moved around on my head. That is until I tried the Bontrager XXX WaveCel Road Helmet. I purchased a size large in black. What I immediately noticed was how light it was. Then, the fit was on the money, as the helmet covers my entire head and actually fits as snug as I like. The Boa dial and chin strap are second to none.
A major advancement in the protection against cycling-related head injuries
Bontrager XXX WaveCel delivers high-performance protection and the best in aerodynamics and comfort. XXX is the WaveCel helmet of choice for the Trek-Segafredo men’s and women’s teams.
WaveCel is a collapsible cellular structure that lines the inside of the helmet. This Bontrager-exclusive technology disrupts the safety standards the industry has accepted for over 30 years
- WaveCel advanced helmet technology
- BOA® Fit System lets you easily secure and adjust helmet fit with just one hand
- Easy-to-use adjustable strap dividers allow for a fine-tuned fit
- An aerodynamic shape helps you outsmart the wind and ride faster
- Additional NoSweat pad with silicone channel keeps sweat out of eyes for constant clarity
- Team Trek-Segafredo sticker kit included with Viper Red, White, and Radioactive Yellow colorways
- Crash Replacement Guarantee provides a free helmet replacement if involved in a crash within the first year of ownership
- Complies with U.S. CPSC safety standards for bicycle helmets for persons age 1 and over
One thing to remember is that a good helmet is designed to save your head exactly once. If you took a fall that left you concussed, or left your helmet dented or cracked in any way, then it is pretty safe to assume that its impact absorbing abilities have been compromised and that it should be replaced.
If your in the market for a new helmet, try the best fitting helmet you will ever find.